In 2019, I was fortunate enough to work with our Economic Development Team to recruit two major companies, ABB and Medline, to the Buckhorn Economic Development District (EDD), bringing over $100 million investment to Orange County and the promise of 650 jobs over the next five years. In addition, healthcare technology company WELL, located in Chapel Hill on Franklin Street, will invest $5 million dollars and create 400 jobs in downtown. I understand how important it is to continue to bring new job opportunities to Orange County, diversify our tax base, and reduce the tax burden on residents. 2019 was a banner year and I look forward to what 2020 will bring.
But we can’t forget about supporting our homegrown local businesses. As County Commissioner, I serve as the liaison to the small business loan and grant program intended to help strengthen and diversify the County’s local economy and help grow and retain our small businesses and agricultural based operations.
AS COUNTY COMMISSIONER, I WILL CONTINUE TO:
· support our local business with Article 46 tax dollar grants.
· support and encourage start up companies like Innovate Carolina, LaUNCh, WEpower and 1789 to create and keep business in Orange County.
· support the Orange County Visitors Bureau – Visitors have a huge economic impact in Orange County, generating over 200 million dollars annually and sustaining over 1900 jobs in the travel and tourism industry.
· support programs at Durham Tech’s Orange County Campus to help train residents for our newly located company workforce.
· support education opportunities in our high schools for skilled labor programs.
By supporting economic development opportunities of all types and sizes across the County, we can look forward to a vibrant and thriving future for residents. I appreciate your support to keep doing this important work, and I hope to continue it into the next four years.